Monday, January 11, 2010

For you new people

Yes, its one of my favorite scenes from 1997's Starship Troopers...

[Ace is having difficulty with throwing knives]
Ace Levy: Sir, I don't understand. What goods' a knife in a nuke fight? All you have to do is press a button, sir.
Career Sergeant Zim: Put your hand on that wall trooper. PUT YOUR HAND ON THAT WALL!
[Zim throws a knife and hits Ace's hand pinning it to the wall]
Career Sergeant Zim: The enemy can not press a button... if you have disabled his hand. Medic!

So, you've found Greta In The Box. What *is* Greta In The Box, anyway?

Well, its not some kind of sick joke. As noted in the description for this blog, its a creative project that involves music, writing, commentary, and just about anything that will fit in the weird little universe that's inside my head.  Sometimes, all GITB will be is this blog, with writing as I see fit being the primary content. Sometimes, GITB will perform in public, from anything from a solo to a group, and the type of music - well, its whatever fits the moment.

As someone who's been playing guitar 34 years and has finally come to terms that I'm a fusion guitarist - with a day job - and that its not really important for me to make money doing this, but having fun with other musicians, maybe entertaining the people who choose to listen, and hopefully growing as a person in the process, and helping other people grow as well.

I don't consider myself a 'great' player - there are so many guitarists out there, at different levels, that its really ridiculous to argue that "Guitarist X is better than Guitarist Y" but instead to appreciate every single player as being unique in their own way. I play like... well, myself, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The "band" exists whenever I want it to exist... some might think this is a hobby... and it probably is... but I also think its more important to just BE an artist and everything else happens.

The name for this blog/music project/whateverelse comes from The Blonde, whom I assist in dogsitting a friendly German wirehaired pointer named Greta when her owners are out of town. Now, not only does Greta's house have a pool, she also has an elaborate doghouse. Which she sulks in when her owners are gone... and The Blonde calls this behavior "Greta In The Box".  I thought this would be a fantastic band name, if I ever get a real band together, man.

So here we are, and when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

No comments:

Post a Comment