Sunday, May 23, 2010

so ever distracted

I've really got to swear off, for a while, on buying books, as I have so many to read and already so many demands on my time - aside from work, self-imposed, actually.

I need to get my lazy ass out of bed and exercise, whether its running or getting up so I can bike commute to work (even though at 5 miles one way its really not much of a workout compared to a hard 3-4 mile run).

There's also practicing guitar. If you want to get better, you have to shed. And shedding requires time, but also discipline, as it is way too easy to lapse into noodling rather than practicing things that are difficult to do (like arpeggios, scale exercises, sight reading, learning new tunes, etc.).

I also like to write. Blogs take time.

There's this thing called a relationship. My GF gets really cranked when I'm plugged into the MacBook or guitar and really gets po'ed when my response to a question (that I've not heard the content of, other than the fact a question has been asked) is "Huh? What did you just say?"

And I have self-improvement/software/device manuals to read, but today, while we were at the thrift store, I grabbed the three "pre-Dune/Butlerian Jihad" novels written by Herbert's son and Kevin Anderson (actually, probably speed-typed by Anderson - I suspect that Herbert is just hanging on to Dad's legacy and OK'ing whatever Anderson felt like writing on a given day, as he is a human word processor).

Last night, I was up way too late reading the latest Prey novel. Yes, I killed a 400+ page hardback that I'd picked up at Costco in one sitting with the clip-on reading light going.

Which resulted in a 2 1/2 hour nap late Saturday afternoon. Which has now resulted in this blog entry at 1:00 amish on a Sunday morning. Which will likely impact all of the activities listed above.

I'm way too easy distracted, but having a wealth of choices is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment