Tuesday, May 25, 2010

massive doofus alert

This lovely thing called middle age is, of course, a mixed bag of good, bad and indifferent. Studies show that as people approach age 50 you get happier, and I'm pleased to confirm that's pretty much the case for yours truly, sportsfans.

But this whole far sightedness thing sucks. I've had Coke bottle (do they even MAKE Coke bottles anymore?) thick glasses since I've been about 12, and while I improved about a diaopter with this year's exam - first real improvement since I began wearing glasses in 2nd grade - because of the strength of my script, biofocals are hideously expensive. All I have to do to "read" is pull the glasses down on the end of my nose a bit, make me look even more mole and evil scientist like (cool, but not really good for getting chicks that even remotely approach the Megan Fox/Jessica Alba scale of hotness).

When I'm wearing my contacts, I can get by with readers or if I'm lucky, my arms are just long enough that I can hold the print far enough away to see it (in the case of my Mac Book Pro, I just swipe the tiny text LARGER).

I'm vain enough that I continue to screw with the contacts although juggling readers, sunglasses (have I mentioned how goddamned light sensitive contacts make me? No?) and having my glasses handy in case my eyes get irritated by contacts or pollen or alien invasions (always, alas a possibility). Plus when I'm out running or cycling or lounging by the pool, I've got to Look Dynamic and Handsome. Playing guitar... hmmm... if I didn't have a GF I'd probably wear my glasses less...

But there are mornings I want to go to breakfast and read clearly, which means glasses, or a day at work when I have a massive amount of reading to do so glasses are better. However, its usually BRIGHT AND SUNNY HERE IN CALIFORNIA which means either putting on those hideously huge oversize sunglasses over glasses or feeling my way through the environment outside with one eye squeezed shut, stumbling around.

Anyway, I finally decided this weekend, since Costco doesn't make sunglasses and a regular optical shop would change a frickin' fortune for script sunglasses to have some photogray glasses made. Oh joy. I now have something even geekier, possibly here by this weekend. But I'll be able to read at the beach and pool finally... (try slipping a pair of Costco readers under your cool Bolle floatable sunglasses. It doesn't work. It looks even stupider if you put the readers on the end of your nose OVER the sunglasses). So now I'll be a photoelectric effect Mole. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment